Saturday, April 17, 2010

Autumn Gardening



Finally, a lot of the leaves are starting to drop in my garden. Lou and I have been doing a little bit of raking up of the leaves.

Lou is a good little worker ;) He put his gardening gloves on, got his rake and
wheel barrow that is falling apart, ...

... raked up leaves and took them to the new veggie patch where they will compost with our kitchen veggie scraps over the next few months.

.... and off he goes!


I started making a second veggie patch a few months ago. I dug up the soil and sieved it to get out the rocks and this pesty bulb of a weed which takes over the veggie patch. It is just as annoying as onion weed but not as hard to get rid of. It has a purple flower and big clover like leaves. I wanted to grow carrots and onions in this spot. A few days later we had all this rain that washed all of my hard work away. The boys did have a great time in the muddy swamp that mummy made! So lately it's been a little boys quarry for the last 2 months.

I got my partner to do the digging to turn the leaves in to the soil. He does it so much better

than me! LOL
But one thing lead to another
and we kept finding rocks.......
....... and more rocks.

and a huge rock!


I got excited. It would make a lovely garden feature - keep digging, let's see if you can dig it out. In the end it was bed rock so my partner buried it. We just have to be mindful of what we plant there because it does come into the veggie patch a bit.


Well, for the last few weeks I've been fighting off a cold and now it has finally beaten me. I have been in bed with night sweats, aching bones and this really bad headache. I couldn't even do any knitting in bed - Aaarrrhhhh! I am so close to finishing my cardigan. I was also too tired today to make it down the mountain for this month's Knitting Guild meeting. :(

This is my first cold, and hopefully the last, of the season - that's why I've been absent from the computer for a while.

11 comments:

softearthart said...

Best of luck for a speedy recovery,it is always great to start a new garden. You have a lovely little helper.Our leaves are starting to turn golden, Cheers Marie

Appleshoe said...

I'm so sorry you have been ill. Take care and get well soon. Thank you for sharing these pictures. The ones with Lou and his wheelbarrow are precious beyond words. Take care.

Lynne said...

Get better soon - I did wonder where you were today! ;-)

Rocks are a part of life (and gardening) in the mountains I guess!

Ariella said...

The golden curly hair and the wheelbarrow are too precious!

Cadi said...

Awww. What cute pictures of child & wheelbarrow. There's somethin' about that!

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

Congrats on the gardening project. You'll have lots to plan and dream about there.

:)Lisa

karisma said...

What a great little helper you have there! Sorry to hear you are unwell, get well quick. Hugs xoxoxox

Leanne said...

Ooh get well soon. Time to snuggle up and plan more Autumn gardening...the best time of year to do so isn't it...especially with blonde curly haired boys!

Nicole Vangen said...

Sending healing energy your way!

What is a bed rock? If I may ask.

Nicole

Loved the wheelbarrow pics - so fun.

Mette (Mettuska) said...

Sorry to hear that you´ve been sick. Hope you get well soon! Love the colours of the leaves!

Cloudia said...

Strange to think that our Spring is just beginning!




Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral