Saturday, December 22, 2007

In the beginning . . .

I'm not sure where to start!
I've been blogged out - there are so many inspiring knitting blog sites, so I've bitten the bullet and stared my own .

There are knitters on both sides of my family - both of my Grandmas, my Auntie (who is an amazing knitter. I hope one day I can be as good as her) and my mum. So it was inevitable that the knitting gene has been passed on to my daughter and I.

I did a little bit of knitting when I was little (scarves for my Teddy Bear). Then it stopped. It wasn't until a few years ago when my partner, daughter and myself went on a driving holiday around New Zealand that I discovered all these wool shops on our travels. I found my passion to want to take up knitting again. I bought 2 kits, some hanks of rainbow coloured wool and a pair of knitting needles. I knitted 2 scarves while my partner droved around 6000 km which took 21 days (the trip not the scarves). I didn't drive back then and I'm only on my L's now.

This year I have picked up the needles again and knitted 3 ponchos; one for my daughter and the other 2 for friends as pressies and a scarf for another friend as a chrissy present.

The Poncho that I knitted for my daughter is quite sentimental to me. I did it while I was breastfeeding my new born at about 8 weeks old. He didn't wriggle as much then and as he took so long to feed, I had to do something. Now at 6 months he tries to gummmy everything he can get his little hands on. I feel it's time for me to take the challenge and knit either a cardie or a jumper for myself. But with active kids, maybe it's easier said than done!

So here's my journey.

No comments: