Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Backyard

Wow, I've been away that long...... Well I've kind of lost my blogging mojo for a while. Been busy with the kids in the school holidays, getting over an ear infection, trying to get some crafting done for Katie's school open day and cleaning done for the dreaded rental interrogation (sorry, I meant inspection). Before I knew it, a month has flown by.
Well, my dad gave me his Nikon D70 and two lenses that have a tiny bit of mould on them. He couldn't sell them but they're perfect for me - I was soooooooo happy. Now I have to get my head around a new camera with all the setting & lots of buttons. I got lazy with my digital automatic happy snap camera so hopefully my pics will now look a little more um..... better (LOL).

Here is a little nocturnal visitor I get in my garden - the brush tail possum. These furry little visitors love to raid vegie patches and fruit trees - even Katie's strawberries that are growing in a pot at the back door.

Today my mum and dad came over and we went for a picnic in the National Park in the Blue Mountains at Glenbrook which is the lower mountains. We went to the lookout and checked out the view in my backyard...
The boys were asleep in the car so dad stayed with them while mum and I went to check out Tunnel View Lookout. This was a bit scary - there was no safety fence and it was a straight drop for a couple of hundred meters but the view was amazing.


This is the view looking up the Blue Mountains. It's funny - the mountains look like little hills. I am very high up on a cliff edge.

This is where metropolitan Sydney ends and the Blue Mountains start. It was too hazy to see the city of Sydney on the horizon. This view of the Nepean river is from Portal lookout.



On the track there were lots of bleeding trees. The sap had stained the tree trunks which left a palette of beautiful colours when the sun shined on them.

There was lots of new growth. When the sun hit, the back lighting highlighted the beautiful pinks and purples of the new gum leaves.

16 comments:

Lisa said...

Bleeding trees.....how interesting. I love seeing the animals of Aust., so different than what we normally see in Ohio. I love this post, thanks for sharing this.

Lynne said...

We certainly live in a beautiful part of the world, don't we?

PS See you on Saturday!

dawn klinge said...

You took some beautiful photos with your new camera!

Mette (Mettuska) said...

So now you are better, nice to hear. Very interesting views you have there. Different and so beautiful!

april said...

i like the word: blogging mojo a lot. it made me smile. thankyou and best wishes from switzerland*

Linda said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway! Your photos are beautiful Wow!

woolladyfelter said...

Beautiful - cliffs are amazing to let you know how small you really are.

Erin said...

Wow, what a neat picture of that possum!

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Beautiful photos!
Isn't if funny how Australia is the country where the native trees lose their bark and not their leaves, lol!

Sabrina said...

I feel like I've lost my "blogging mojo" too. The longer I'm away, the harder it is to go back.

You certainly live in a beautiful corner of the world! Enjoy your new camera and capturing more lovely photos.

sunnymama said...

I love the pictures! The one of Tunnel View Lookout is awesome :)

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Lovely photos!! What a fun new toy :)

karisma said...

Wow! Great shots and congrats on the camera. I had mine cleaned recently, theres a service centre at Lidcombe if you want the email let me know. They only charged me $30 or $40 and its good as new. I thought I had broken it but there was just sand in the lens! Phew.

Glennis said...

A lovely picnic you had. I have seen bleeding trees, but I failed to see the beauty in them! You did. Well done.
Love the wee possum visitor you had, over here it would be a pest that needed shooting. We have so many of them, but not around where we live.

SILVER KNIGHT said...

beautiful pictures!

planettreasures said...

The tunnel view is one of our faves. We often take visitors there in the late afternoon with a bottle of wine and some nibbles!